Python 2.7.8 was released on July 1, 2014. This release includes regression and security fixes over 2.7.7 including:
- The openssl version bundled in the Windows installer has been updated.
- A regression in the mimetypes module on Windows has been fixed.
- A possible overflow in the buffer type has been fixed.
- A bug in the CGIHTTPServer module which allows arbitrary execution of code in the server root has been patched.
- A regression in the handling of UNC paths in os.path.join has been fixed.
This is a production release. Please report any bugs you encounter.
We currently support these formats for download:
- Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.8)
- Windows x86 MSI program database (2.7.8)
- Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.7.8) 
- Windows X86-64 MSI program database (2.7.8) 
- Windows help file
- Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit x86-64/i386 Installer (2.7.8) for Mac OS X 10.6 and later  (sig). [You may need an updated Tcl/Tk install to run IDLE or use Tkinter, see note 2 for instructions.]
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.8) for Mac OS X 10.5 and later  (sig).
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.8) for Mac OS X 10.3 and later (deprecated, see below)  (sig).
- XZ compressed source tar ball (2.7.8) (sig)
- Gzipped source tar ball (2.7.8) (sig)
The source tarballs are signed with Benjamin Peterson's key, which has key id 18ADD4FF. The Mac installers were signed with Ned Deily's key, which has a key id of 6F5E1540. The public keys are located on the download page.
MD5 checksums and sizes of the released files:
38cadfcac6dd56ecf772f2f3f14ee846 17231872 python-2.7.8.amd64.msi 1d573b6422d4b00aeb39c1ed5aa05d8c 23561282 python-2.7.8.amd64-pdb.zip ef95d83ace85d1577b915dbd481977d4 16703488 python-2.7.8.msi 83c1b28264ca8eb1ea97100065988192 25355330 python-2.7.8-pdb.zip 1cda33c3546f20b484869bed243d8726 6062806 python278.chm 56f664f1813852585fc0bd28f5d71147 20772301 python-2.7.8-macosx10.3.dmg b5d6b720d436b8305263612fd7d36642 473 python-2.7.8-macosx10.3.dmg.asc 23e9a3e4e0e4ef2f0989148edaa507e5 20469575 python-2.7.8-macosx10.5.dmg 44f8259d11bdda96b1e0ffcd9f701fa6 473 python-2.7.8-macosx10.5.dmg.asc 183f72950e4d04a7137fc29848740d09 20370972 python-2.7.8-macosx10.6.dmg 166d9b5b63133fae74e9a38903239472 473 python-2.7.8-macosx10.6.dmg.asc d4bca0159acb0b44a781292b5231936f 14846119 Python-2.7.8.tgz d235bdfa75b8396942e360a70487ee00 10525244 Python-2.7.8.tar.xz
About the 2.7 release series
Among the features and improvements to Python 2.6 introduced in the 2.7 series are
- An ordered dictionary type
- New unittest features including test skipping, new assert methods, and test discovery
- A much faster io module
- Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
- Float repr improvements backported from 3.x
- Tile support for Tkinter
- A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
- Set literals
- Set and dictionary comprehensions
- Dictionary views
- New syntax for nested with statements
- The sysconfig module
Binary installer support for OS X 10.4 and 10.3.9 to be discontinued
Python 2.7.8 is the last release for which binary installers will be released on python.org that support Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and 10.4.x (Tiger) systems. For Python 2.7.8 only, we are providing three OS X binary installers: the unchanged 10.6+ 64-bit/32-bit format, the deprecated 10.3+ 32-bit-only format, and the newer 10.5+ 32-bit-only format. See the README included with the installer downloads for more information.
|||(1, 2) The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly IA-64).|
|||(1, 2, 3) There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.|